Often the New Year brings with it thoughts of new starts, new challenges and new jobs. If you are looking for a new job (or simply want to see what is out there) why not sign up with your local or industry specific recruiters.
Contrary to popular opinion – a Recruiter works for the employers (not the job seekers). They are looking for the right individual to fill a specific role. They are not there to find you a job (unfortunately). That’s right – you still have to do the hard work.
However, all is not lost. Signing up with a recruiter and keeping in regular contact with them does have its advantages:
- It gets your C.V. in front of them. Ideally you should approach them with a role in mind, or at least give a clear indication of what you are looking for. If they have nothing currently on their books, they will have your C.V. on file for when an opportunity arises.
- You may get sent details of vacancies before they are officially advertised (or as soon as they are advertised). Particularly if your recruiter thinks you are a good match for the job.
- Your C.V. is on file so you can apply easily and quickly.
- A recruiter can advise on the job market and trends and give you an indication of when jobs will become available.
- Some recruiters offer C.V. advice and Interview preparation while others may help you with insider knowledge regarding format of interviews or contract and salary negotiation.
Finally, where possible nab a face to face meeting with your recruiter. A face to face meeting provides more of an opportunity to get to know each other, learn more about how you can help each other and they are more likely to remember you when a job materialise.
Weekly Prompt: Sign up with a Recruiter.
Subscribers of our Career Development Prompts Premium Plan (which is only £30 for a 2014 subscription) will be able to download our Recruiter Info Pack which includes the Recruiter Sign Up Record (pdf), Recruiter Job Applications Tracker (pdf) and the Recruiter Evaluation Form (pdf). You will also have access to our bonus subscriber only article: “Why is it important to pick the right Recruiter (and things you will still need to do).” Access the Premium Content Now.